Draft legislation has been published by the government with regards to amending the Equality Act 2010 from 1st January 2024.
The Equality Act amendments include the following: –
- The right to claim indirect discrimination by association.
- Changes to the guidance on the definition of disability and to consider a person’s ability to fully participate effectively in working life the same as other individuals is relevant when looking at ‘day to day activities’.
- A ‘single source’ test for comparing equal pay.
- Direct discrimination protection extended to cover discriminatory statements made about not wanting to recruit people with certain protected characteristics even if there is no recruitment activity and no identifiable individual who could be a victim.
- Employment discrimination on the grounds of breastfeeding will come under the protected characteristic of sex.
If you would like to discuss the implications of these changes, contact us on 01483 362732.